Congress
Bipartisan House effort aims to kill ‘anti-weaponization’ fund
A bipartisan House effort is afoot to kill the $1.8 billion “anti-weaponization” fund created by the Justice Department that could pay allies of President Donald Trump, according to three people granted anonymity to discuss the effort ahead of a formal announcement.
Reps. Brian Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.) and Tom Suozzi (D-N.Y.) have drafted text and are taking steps to unveil the legislation soon, the people said.
Speaker Mike Johnson raised the level of urgency to block the fund among some congressional skeptics when he refused to say Wednesday whether violent Jan. 6 convicts should have access to the taxpayer money.
Fitzpatrick said in an interview Wednesday he’s waiting to hear back from the Justice Dpartment regarding a list of questions he sent Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche seeking more information about who will be able to access the fund, which was created pursuant to a settlement between Trump and the IRS.
Fitzpatrick said his constituents and others “don’t want a DOJ slush fund that has not been described or explained to anybody.”
Blanche is meeting with GOP senators Thursday morning, some of whom are want to curtail or block the fund through the immigration enforcement package Senate Republicans are planning to advance today.
Johnson would be unlikely to bring the Fitzpatrick-Suozzi legislation to the House floor, but Fitzpatrick has been involved in multiple efforts this Congress to use discharge petitions to pass bipartisan bills over GOP leaders’ objections.
Congress
Arrington wants House to advance a budget blueprint in June
House Budget Chair Jodey Arrington said Thursday he wants the House to move a budget blueprint for a narrow, party-line policy package in June as House GOP leaders weigh whether they can advance the long-shot legislation by the end of July.
“We can do a resolution and put flexibilities in the budget resolution,” the Texas Republican said, noting Republicans can add spending caps and other targets in the blueprint required to kickstart the filibuster-skirting budget reconciliation process.
Speaker Mike Johnson hosted a meeting Thursday morning with Arrington, Majority Leader Steve Scalise, several GOP caucus heads and some key rank and file members, where the discussion centered around the path forward on advancing a third reconciliation bill — a follow up to the “big, beautiful bill” from last July and the immigration enforcement measure Republicans hope to pass in the coming days.
Republicans at this latest meeting discussed ways so-called Reconciliation 3.0 could tackle fraud and improve affordability of everyday goods, according to four people granted anonymity to share private conversations.
Arrington said this future bill will focus on six or seven committees of jurisdiction — far narrower than the GOP tax cuts and spending megabill Republicans passed last year but more expansive than the immigration bill currently winding its way through the Capitol, which only looped in two panels to contribute to the legislative product.
Republicans could ultimately decide to push off a vote on the immigration package until after the upcoming Memorial Day recess. But Arrington said he didn’t think that delay would throw off his summer timeline for crafting and passing the third reconciliation bill.
Congress
House ponders reconciliation delay
House GOP leaders are considering delaying a vote on their party-line immigration enforcement bill until after next week’s Memorial Day recess, according to three people granted anonymity to describe internal conversations — possibly inching right up to President Donald Trump’s June 1 deadline.
The Senate has yet to release final bill text or launch debate, meaning the House might not get the bill until well into Friday. Leaders there don’t know how long they can keep their members in town ahead of a busy holiday weekend. A number of New York Republicans, for instance, want to attend a Friday event with Trump in Rep. Mike Lawler’s district.
Speaker Mike Johnson is set to meet with Trump at the White House Thursday afternoon, where they will likely discuss next steps.
Congress
House Oversight confronts toughest Epstein interview to date
Sarah Kellen, a former assistant to Jeffrey Epstein, told congressional investigators Thursday she was “sexually and psychologically abused” by the convicted sex offender, according to a copy of her prepared opening statement.
Kellen — who is sitting for a closed-door, transcribed interview with the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee as part of its investigation into the late, disgraced financier — has presented a quandary for lawmakers as to whether she should be regarded as victim or an accomplice to Epstein in carrying out his crimes.
Speaking with reporters before the start of the interview, House Oversight Chair James Comer (R-Ky.) said he suspected it would be the hardest conversation with a witness to date.
“I know how the Department of Justice viewed her. I don’t know how the Oversight Committee will view her,” Comer said. “Obviously she’s presumed innocent, she’s going to have due process, and I appreciate her being here today.”
He noted, “We have a lot of questions about everything from the day-to-day activities to what she saw and what she knows.”
According to the prepared remarks, Kellen described details of the abuse that she endured at the hands of Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, the only convicted co-conspirator in the Epstein case who is now serving 20 years in prison for her part in the sex trafficking scheme.
“Jeffrey made certain I knew that defying him would cost me my life,” Kellen said, per the pre-written opening statement. “I was a silent body in a chair beside men who started and ended wars.”
Kellen was one of four women viewed as possible co-conspirators as part of the 2008 non-prosecution agreement many have argued allowed Epstein to continue to prey on young women and girls for years. Kellen, who was ultimately never prosecuted or charged, described the government’s scrutiny of her as a total blindside.
“The federal government of the United States branded me a criminal in a secret deal with my own abuser, without ever once speaking to me,” she said in her prepared remarks.
Kellen also recounted to the Oversight panel that she was raised in a “religious cult” and married at the age of 17. After her divorce, she was excommunicated from her community. A man said he would introduce her to Epstein under the auspices that he was a “scout for Victoria’s Secret.” She later got a job as Epstein’s assistant and said he only paid her once the sexual abuse began.
“I have read articles online labeling me as Ghislaine’s Lieutenant; that is a gross misrepresentation,” she said, according to the prepared statement. “I was a literal indentured slave; in fact, she even referred to me as her slave and minion.”
Erica Orden contributed to this report.
-
Politics1 year agoFormer ‘Squad’ members launching ‘Bowman and Bush’ YouTube show
-
The Dictatorship1 year agoLuigi Mangione acknowledges public support in first official statement since arrest
-
Politics1 year agoFormer Kentucky AG Daniel Cameron launches Senate bid
-
Uncategorized2 years ago
Bob Good to step down as Freedom Caucus chair this week
-
The Dictatorship1 year agoPete Hegseth’s tenure at the Pentagon goes from bad to worse
-
The Josh Fourrier Show2 years agoDOOMSDAY: Trump won, now what?
-
Politics1 year agoBlue Light News’s Editorial Director Ryan Hutchins speaks at Blue Light News’s 2025 Governors Summit
-
The Dictatorship8 months agoMike Johnson sums up the GOP’s arrogant position on military occupation with two words

