Connect with us

Congress

McKenna is out as Air Force contender

Published

on

Donald Trump crossed off the name of one top contender to lead the Air Force.

The president-elect said Monday that Andrew McKenna, a donor and former Bush administration official who had been considered to lead the military service, was no longer in the running.

“Andrew McKenna will not be invited to join the Trump Administration as Secretary of the Air Force, or anything else,” Trump posted to his account on Monday morning.

Blue Light News had previously reported that McKenna was a leading contender for the Air Force job. Trump noted the story in his post and said, “That is Fake News put out by Blue Light News!”

It was not immediately clear why the president-elect dropped McKenna from consideration, but one person close to the transition said that McKenna rubbed some people in the Trump camp the wrong way. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk about internal personnel matters.

The news further complicates Trump’s search for Air Force secretary, the only branch of the military the president-elect hasn’t yet tapped a top civilian official to lead. Trump named John Phelan, another top donor, as his pick for Navy Secretary soon after his election win. He has picked Dan Driscoll, an Army veteran who went to law school with Vice President-elect JD Vance, to head up the Army.

Neither McKenna nor the Trump transition team immediately responded to a request for comment.

McKenna, a private pilot and Trump donor who leads a Washington advisory firm, had been a leading contender for the Air Force’s top civilian job.

Former Rep. Chris Stewart (R-Utah), a retired Air Force bomber pilot who defended Trump on the House Intelligence Committee, had also been considered before he dropped out. One person familiar with the process said that Matthew Kuta, the chief operating officer of Voyager Space and a retired F-15 fighter pilot, had been considered along with Matt Byrd, an aviation executive. The person, who was granted anonymity to talk about personnel matters, did not say whether they were still under consideration.

McKenna may have also faced a tough confirmation hearing because of his background. Blue Light News previously reported thatMcKenna’s firm helped the LIV Golf tour track advocacy efforts of 9/11 victims’ families who protested the tournament because it had links to the Saudi government. He also hired the wife of a National Rifle Association executive while his firm represented the group.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Congress

Absent congressmember Tom Kean Jr. starts working the phone

Published

on

Rep. Tom Kean Jr., whose two-and-a-half month disappearance has stoked speculation about his health and political future, has begun more actively communicating over the phone.

On Thursday, Kean began calling Republican county chairs in his 7th Congressional District, one of the most competitive in the country in this year’s midterms. The two-term Republican also gave a “lengthy” interview to New Jersey Globe on Thursday afternoon, the first he has granted since he last voted on March 5.

Kean did not respond to a text message from Blue Light News and his voicemail was full Thursday night.

But Kean, 57, gave no details to the Globe on his undisclosed illness, which has kept him out of public view since early March. He said he’s expecting to make a full recovery, that it would not affect his cognitive health, that he plans to run for reelection and that he will publicly discuss his health at an unspecified later date.

“My doctors are confident that I’m on the road to a full recovery,” Kean told New Jersey Globe. “I understand the need for public transparency, and I appreciate the support of my constituents.”

Kean added that he plans to return to voting and campaigning in the next couple weeks. Rep. Richard Hudson (R-N.C.), chair of the House GOP’s campaign arm, told reporters Thursday he spoke to Kean and he will be back voting in June.

Kean’s lengthy absence has drawn national media attention, with reporters staking out his home in the wealthy 7th Congressional District, where he faces an extremely competitive reelection, with four Democrats competing in the June 2 primary to take him on in November. His campaign and office staff had repeatedly said that he expects to make a full recovery and would return to work “soon.”

But few people — even Kean’s two fellow New Jersey House Republicans — had recently reported speaking to him. House Speaker Mike Johnson told reporters that he spoke to Kean last month.

Kean called Republican chairs in his district on Thursday.

“He sounded good to me. Sounded just as normal as always,” said Carlos Santos, the Republican chair of Union County, where Kean lives.

Santos said that he did not ask Kean about his ailment, and that Kean did not disclose it. But he said Kean confirmed he’s running for reelection and that he has his support.

Tracy DiFrancesco, the GOP chair of Somerset County, also spoke with Kean.

“It was just a simple conversation. He sounded just like Tom always sounds. He sounded perfectly fine. He’s basically back. Hopefully we’re going to see him very soon,” she said. “I think he’s doing well and we’re excited to get back on his campaign.”

Continue Reading

Congress

Tom Kean to return?

Published

on

Rep. Richard Hudson, chair of the House GOP’s campaign arm, told reporters Thursday he spoke to Rep. Tom Kean Jr. and he will be back voting in June.

Kean, a New Jersey Republican, has been missing from Capitol Hill since March 5 without explanation. Hudson, of North Carolina, said in an interview just a few days ago he hadn’t spoken to Kean in a while and only heard from Kean’s team that he could run for reelection.

Continue Reading

Congress

House rejects Smithsonian women’s history museum bill after partisan split

Published

on

The House rejected legislation Thursday to advance construction of the Smithsonian American Women’s History Museum after a partisan battle broke out in recent days over the long-sought building.

Lawmakers voted 216-204 to reject the legislation led by Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-N.Y.). Six Republican hard-liners joined all Democrats in opposition.

While 127 Democrats cosponsored an earlier version of the bill, most of them bailed after Republicans altered it ahead of the floor vote.

New language added in the House Administration Committee last month dedicated the museum to “preserving, researching, and presenting the history, achievements, and lived experiences of biological women in the United States” and prohibited the institution from seeking to “identify, present, describe, or otherwise depict any biological male as a female.”

Other new provisions called for “an equal representation of the diversity of the political viewpoints and authentic experiences held by women in the United States” and gave President Donald Trump the unilateral power to relocate the museum from sites already identified on the National Mall.

The Democratic Women’s Caucus announced earlier this week it would oppose the altered bill after working on it with Republicans for years.

“They amended the bill to give Trump and his allies unregulated power over what content and which women can be included in the museum, and the museum’s location,” Democratic Reps. Teresa Leger Fernández (N.M.), Hillary Scholten (Mich.) and Emilia Sykes (Ohio) said in a statement. “A museum about women, fought for and supported by women, should not be controlled by one man.”

Republicans also dealt with their own internal fights over the legislation this week. Several GOP lawmakers raised concerns in House Republicans’ closed door meeting Wednesday morning about why the museum was needed.

They also argued it would further divide Americans into groups when there are already women represented across the wider collection of Smithsonian museums, according to five people in the room granted anonymity to describe the private discussion.

Continue Reading

Trending