Congress
Democrats make a right turn on immigration
A rightward national shift on border-related concerns helped give Republicans control of the White House and Senate — and the consequences are playing out on Capitol Hill this week with Democrats showing a new willingness to follow the GOP’s lead on illegal immigration.
It’s an unmistakable sign that some in the Democratic ranks are moving in step with the electorate, abandoning their party’s old pieties on those issues and embracing tough new enforcement measures.
Forty-eight House Democrats voted Tuesday to advance an illegal immigration crackdown known as the Laken Riley Act, a bill named for a Georgia nursing student murdered last year by an undocumented immigrant. That’s up from the 37 Democrats who backed the bill last March.
The Senate is set to take up the bill Friday, and already three Democrats, including Sens. John Fetterman of Pennsylvania and Gary Peters of Michigan, are planning to advance it — raising the likelihood that it will be able to vault a filibuster and eventually be signed into law by President-elect Donald Trump.
Republican leaders are eager to put Democrats on their heels, forcing them to quickly choose whether it’s a moment to resist or side with the GOP. This week’s votes will offer early clues on how both sides will chart their path forward on Trump’s top priority.
“We need to take a different approach with immigration,” said Rep. Nikki Budzinski (D-Ill.), who voted for the bill Tuesday. “What shouldn’t be lost is that we have to fix this system and do more than just one piece of this.”
Democrats previously denigrated measures like the Laken Riley Act, which would require the detention of any undocumented immigrant charged with theft or burglary, as “messaging bills” meant to stir up political passions, not to solve complex policy problems.
Ahead of the election, some Democrats raised alarms about how voters were repulsed by a seemingly out-of-control southern border. And now, with more ascribing the party’s setbacks to those issues, some lawmakers said they felt doubly compelled to back the GOP-led legislation.
“What happened in South Texas tells you a lot,” said Trump-district Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas), referring to massive GOP gains on the presidential ticket in areas along the Rio Grande. “We don’t want the folks to shift downballot, too.”
Fetterman and Peters signaled they will vote for the measure when it’s taken up by the Senate on Friday; Peters, a former national campaign committee chair, is up for reelection next year, while Fetterman is up in 2028 and hasn’t ruled out a presidential bid. Sen. Jon Ossoff (D-Ga.) is also expected to vote to advance the bill, according to a person familiar with his plans.
Newly elected Sens. Elissa Slotkin (D-Mich.) and Ruben Gallego (D-Ariz.) both voted for the bill last year when they were House members. If they vote the same way this time, the measure would only need three more Democratic votes to break a filibuster.
Most of the House Democrats who broke ranks to vote for the legislation Tuesday were purple-district members and newly elected swing district lawmakers like Reps. George Whitesides and Dave Min — who were among seven Californians backing the bill. But safe-seat lawmakers backed the legislation, too — such as Reps. Brendan Boyle (D-Pa.), Joe Courtney (D-Conn.) and Terri Sewell (D-Ala.).
Even Democrats who remained opposed have undergone their own subtle rhetorical shift. Few in the party openly disputed a need to crack down on border-related crime or to enforce immigration laws. Instead, they cited process-related issues like concerns the bill could lead to more immigration detentions or would sweep up DACA recipients.
“I think violence in this country is unacceptable no matter who commits any act of violence, and we also have to have a strong foundation for the rule of law,” said purple-district Rep. Gabe Vasquez (D-N.M.), who voted against the bill Tuesday.
Republicans are using the Laken Riley bill to make clear their intent to prioritize immigration as Trump prepares his return to Washington. They also view it as an early opportunity to put Democrats on record as they come to terms with voters’ apparent rejection of their party’s approach to immigration.
“People are going to have to make a decision, and, you know, it’s now a bipartisan bill,” said Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyoming) after Fetterman voiced support on Monday. “You have a couple of Democrats who have now just joined the Senate, who were members of the House and voted for it, Gallego and Slotkin. So we would hope that they would vote for it as well. And we’re going to see what the Georgia senators do, too. This happened in Georgia.”
Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-Ga.) declined to say Tuesday how he would vote.
The GOP still faces momentous challenges as it tries to pass the remainder of its border policy agenda. For much of it, they are counting on using the budget reconciliation process, which would not require Democratic help.
As Republicans hash out their overall reconciliation strategy — including whether to try and pass a smaller border-focused bill first — Trump will move quickly to crack down on immigration in the days after he takes office, rolling out executive actions, moving to undo Biden administration policies and beginning the process of deporting hundreds of thousands of people.
Legal setbacks are inevitable, even as his team works to craft executive orders that can withstand court challenges, and Trump will be looking to Congress for additional funding and resources to build upon his agenda.
“We’re all belts and suspenders,” said Michael Hough, director of federal relations at NumbersUSA, an immigration restrictionist group. “Executive actions are great, because it’s the immediate fix, immediate cure, but it’s not a permanent one. We still want to see legislative changes go through.”
But the rules governing reconciliation likely preclude the inclusion of sweeping immigration restrictions. Enacting law, in other words, will require Democrats’ participation.
“I think immigration policy is going to be impossible for them in reconciliation,” said Rep. Veronica Escobar (D-Texas). “We found that out when we had the majority, and they are counting on incoming President Trump and his executive orders, but they frankly need us.”
Congress
Absent congressmember Tom Kean Jr. starts working the phone
Rep. Tom Kean Jr., whose two-and-a-half month disappearance has stoked speculation about his health and political future, has begun more actively communicating over the phone.
On Thursday, Kean began calling Republican county chairs in his 7th Congressional District, one of the most competitive in the country in this year’s midterms. The two-term Republican also gave a “lengthy” interview to New Jersey Globe on Thursday afternoon, the first he has granted since he last voted on March 5.
Kean did not respond to a text message from Blue Light News and his voicemail was full Thursday night.
But Kean, 57, gave no details to the Globe on his undisclosed illness, which has kept him out of public view since early March. He said he’s expecting to make a full recovery, that it would not affect his cognitive health, that he plans to run for reelection and that he will publicly discuss his health at an unspecified later date.
“My doctors are confident that I’m on the road to a full recovery,” Kean told New Jersey Globe. “I understand the need for public transparency, and I appreciate the support of my constituents.”
Kean added that he plans to return to voting and campaigning in the next couple weeks. Rep. Richard Hudson (R-N.C.), chair of the House GOP’s campaign arm, told reporters Thursday he spoke to Kean and he will be back voting in June.
Kean’s lengthy absence has drawn national media attention, with reporters staking out his home in the wealthy 7th Congressional District, where he faces an extremely competitive reelection, with four Democrats competing in the June 2 primary to take him on in November. His campaign and office staff had repeatedly said that he expects to make a full recovery and would return to work “soon.”
But few people — even Kean’s two fellow New Jersey House Republicans — had recently reported speaking to him. House Speaker Mike Johnson told reporters that he spoke to Kean last month.
Kean called Republican chairs in his district on Thursday.
“He sounded good to me. Sounded just as normal as always,” said Carlos Santos, the Republican chair of Union County, where Kean lives.
Santos said that he did not ask Kean about his ailment, and that Kean did not disclose it. But he said Kean confirmed he’s running for reelection and that he has his support.
Tracy DiFrancesco, the GOP chair of Somerset County, also spoke with Kean.
“It was just a simple conversation. He sounded just like Tom always sounds. He sounded perfectly fine. He’s basically back. Hopefully we’re going to see him very soon,” she said. “I think he’s doing well and we’re excited to get back on his campaign.”
Congress
Tom Kean to return?
Rep. Richard Hudson, chair of the House GOP’s campaign arm, told reporters Thursday he spoke to Rep. Tom Kean Jr. and he will be back voting in June.
Kean, a New Jersey Republican, has been missing from Capitol Hill since March 5 without explanation. Hudson, of North Carolina, said in an interview just a few days ago he hadn’t spoken to Kean in a while and only heard from Kean’s team that he could run for reelection.
Congress
House rejects Smithsonian women’s history museum bill after partisan split
The House rejected legislation Thursday to advance construction of the Smithsonian American Women’s History Museum after a partisan battle broke out in recent days over the long-sought building.
Lawmakers voted 216-204 to reject the legislation led by Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-N.Y.). Six Republican hard-liners joined all Democrats in opposition.
While 127 Democrats cosponsored an earlier version of the bill, most of them bailed after Republicans altered it ahead of the floor vote.
New language added in the House Administration Committee last month dedicated the museum to “preserving, researching, and presenting the history, achievements, and lived experiences of biological women in the United States” and prohibited the institution from seeking to “identify, present, describe, or otherwise depict any biological male as a female.”
Other new provisions called for “an equal representation of the diversity of the political viewpoints and authentic experiences held by women in the United States” and gave President Donald Trump the unilateral power to relocate the museum from sites already identified on the National Mall.
The Democratic Women’s Caucus announced earlier this week it would oppose the altered bill after working on it with Republicans for years.
“They amended the bill to give Trump and his allies unregulated power over what content and which women can be included in the museum, and the museum’s location,” Democratic Reps. Teresa Leger Fernández (N.M.), Hillary Scholten (Mich.) and Emilia Sykes (Ohio) said in a statement. “A museum about women, fought for and supported by women, should not be controlled by one man.”
Republicans also dealt with their own internal fights over the legislation this week. Several GOP lawmakers raised concerns in House Republicans’ closed door meeting Wednesday morning about why the museum was needed.
They also argued it would further divide Americans into groups when there are already women represented across the wider collection of Smithsonian museums, according to five people in the room granted anonymity to describe the private discussion.
-
Politics1 year agoFormer ‘Squad’ members launching ‘Bowman and Bush’ YouTube show
-
The Dictatorship1 year agoLuigi Mangione acknowledges public support in first official statement since arrest
-
Politics1 year agoFormer Kentucky AG Daniel Cameron launches Senate bid
-
Uncategorized2 years ago
Bob Good to step down as Freedom Caucus chair this week
-
The Dictatorship1 year agoPete Hegseth’s tenure at the Pentagon goes from bad to worse
-
The Josh Fourrier Show2 years agoDOOMSDAY: Trump won, now what?
-
Politics1 year agoBlue Light News’s Editorial Director Ryan Hutchins speaks at Blue Light News’s 2025 Governors Summit
-
The Dictatorship9 months agoMike Johnson sums up the GOP’s arrogant position on military occupation with two words





