Connect with us

Politics

Chicago doesn’t need or want federal troops, Gov. Pritzker says

Published

on

CHICAGO — Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker pushed back Monday on a threat by President Donald Trump to deploy federal troops in Chicago to fight crime, calling it “unconstitutional and unamerican,” and designed more for theater than public safety.

Pritzker, speaking at a news conference along with top Democratic officials from across the state and with the iconic Chicago skyline in the background, said there is no justification for Trump to use soldiers to patrol the city.

“We have crime like other cities do, but let’s be clear, we are actually in better shape than the 30 biggest cities across the United States,” the governor said. “It’s important to understand that the president of the United States is doing this for theatrics.”

Pritzker’s comments came hours after Trump, speaking to reporters at the White House, renewed his threat to make Chicago the next focus of his effort to draw public attention to crime even as violent incidents fall back to pre-pandemic levels throughout the nation.

No request for federal assistance has been made, Pritzker said — nor has any communication come from the Trump administration.

“No one from the White House or the executive branch has reached out to me or to the mayor,” the governor said. “No one has reached out to our staffs. No effort has been made to coordinate or to ask for our assistance in identifying any actions that might be helpful to us.”

While most officials in a state dominated by Democrats agree with Pritzker, the leader of the Chicago Police union, John Catanzara, told Blue Light News that the department is short 1,000 officers and could use reinforcements. “More manpower is still needed,” he said.

The governor, who arrived by water taxi to emphasize the city’s vibrancy and beauty, made his remarks days after Trump floated the idea of federal intervention in Chicago.

“If we need to, we’re going to do the same thing in Chicago, which is a disaster,” Trump said at a White House briefing last week, referencing prior National Guard deployments. On Monday, Trump ratcheted up his rhetoric, suggesting the federal government may need to “barge in” on Illinois.

Pritzker, who was joined by Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson, Sens. Tammy Duckworth and Dick Durbin, Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and numerous city and state officials, civic and faith leaders, said Illinois has the authority and the resolve to block any attempt to override local control.

They vowed to fight any National Guard action in the courts, and they urged protests to be peaceful.

Johnson echoed Pritzker in criticizing Trump’s motives. The mayor noted that crime was on the decline in Chicago, down more than 30 percent. “We are being targeted because of who we are as a city,” said Johnson, pointing to Chicago’s progressive roots in labor and immigration.

Chicago Alderwoman Samantha Nugent, who previously worked with the Cook County Department of Homeland Security, said she’s concerned that the National Guard potentially converging in Chicago would only create confusion because there would be a question about “who’s controlling the mission.” The Chicago Police superintendent is in charge of the chain of command, not the Guard, she said.

The high-profile press conference followed Johnson speaking out against Trump over the weekend, telling MSNBC that if the president moves ahead with his threat, it would be a “flagrant violation of our Constitution.”

Over the weekend, former Chicago mayors Rahm Emanuel and Lori Lightfoot also criticized Trump.

“When you look at what he did in D.C., he’s not going to actually deal with crime,” Emanuel said on BLN. “This is an attempt to deal with cities that are welcoming cities, known as sanctuary cities, and deal with immigration.”

Trump also said a group of African American “ladies” are “screaming” for the Trump administration to address violence in Chicago. It was an apparent reference to Chicago Flips Red, whose members have criticized Johnson’s handling of the large influx of migrants who needed housing and other services during the Biden administration.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

White House declares $4.9B in foreign aid unilaterally canceled in end-run around Congress’ funding power

Published

on

White House declares $4.9B in foreign aid unilaterally canceled in end-run around Congress’ funding power

The administration is setting up clash with Capitol Hill over its use of the “pocket rescission…
Read More

Continue Reading

Politics

Social Security’s chief data officer resigns, cites ‘culture of panic and dread’

Published

on

Social Security’s chief data officer resigns, cites ‘culture of panic and dread’

Social Security Chief Data Officer Charles Borges submitted a Friday resignation letter days after citing policy violations in a whistleblower report documenting the Department of Government Efficiency’s (DOGE) decision to upload sensitive data to a “vulnerable cloud environment.” “Recently, I have been made aware of several projects and incidents which may constitute violations of federal…
Read More

Continue Reading

Politics

Public health in ‘uncharted waters’ amid CDC tumult

Published

on

Public health in ‘uncharted waters’ amid CDC tumult

Click in for more news from Blue Light News {beacon} Health Care Health Care   The Big Story CDC upheaval pushes public health into ‘uncharted waters’ In less than a week, the public health sector has been plunged into chaos as leaders at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) leave the agency amid heightened…
Read More

Continue Reading

Trending