Connect with us

Congress

‘Stay tuned’: GOP leaders struggle over how to advance Trump’s legislative agenda

Published

on

Top Republicans on Capitol Hill are still jockeying over how to advance Donald Trump’s vast legislative agenda, as the incoming president’s comments have given little clarity about how GOP leaders should proceed.

Trump said on Monday that he prefers one large package — which would cover the border, energy and tax reforms — but is open to two bills. It’s stoking divisions between Senate and House GOP leaders, as Speaker Mike Johnson publicly pushes one bill, while Senate Majority Leader John Thune favors separating tax priorities from immigration and energy.

The speaker told House Republicans Saturday that Trump wants “one big beautiful bill.” But Senate Republicans quietly pushed back on that assertion all weekend, arguing they were still negotiating the best strategy.

“Senators will surely discuss it this week,” said a senior GOP aide granted anonymity to speak candidly, adding that they were continuing with a two-track plan for now.

Both Johnson and Thune said Monday that they’re talking about the best path forward.

“We’re working through all that,” Thune said. “The process issues to me are a lot less important than the results.”

Johnson told reporters as he arrived at the Capitol on Monday that he spoke with Trump that morning and Sunday night about how to proceed. Johnson also said he was “in dialogue” with Thune.

“The two houses will get together and we’ll get it done. So stay tuned,” Johnson said.

“Some people like the one-bill strategy. Some people like the two-bill strategy,” he added. “We will work that out.”

Trump publicly put his weight behind one massive legislative package Sunday night. But, just hours later, he suggested he would support two separate tracks if needed, causing further turmoil at the Capitol.

Trump is hosting scores of House Republicans later this week at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida to discuss the plans. He’ll meet with members of the ultraconservative Freedom Caucus Friday night. Members of the group have pressed for a two-track process, as they want to prioritize passing border policies quickly.

“That’s going to be the first major, I think, hurdle for a united Republican body, to see if we can actually do that,” Freedom Caucus Rep. Anna Paulina Luna (R-Fla.) said of Republicans’ ability to quickly land on a strategy.

Daniella Diaz contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Congress

Khanna expresses disappointment about Massie’s defeat

Published

on

Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) expressed disappointment Sunday morning that Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) lost his primary last week.

Speaking on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Khanna said of his reaction: “Sadness, disappointment. Thomas is a real friend. He’s a good man.”

Khanna and Massie are very much on opposite ends of the classic left-right ideological spectrum, but they came together to introduce the Epstein Files Transparency Act, requiring the release of files in the case of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. They also joined together to attempt, unsuccessfully, to block U.S. involvement in Iran.

Those efforts, as well as other votes, led President Donald Trump to repeatedly denounce Massie and campaign on behalf of Ed Gallrein, Massie’s challenger in their Kentucky congressional district. Gallrein won the primary last week with approximately 55 percent of the vote.

Speaking to host Kristen Welker, Khanna offered his analysis of Massie’s defeat.

“He was taken out for two reasons,” Khanna said. “One: He had the courage to go after some very powerful people in working with me to get the Epstein Transparency Act passed. As you mentioned, that’s historic bipartisan legislation that finally got justice for the survivors. And he had people spend millions of dollars and had the president of the United States after him.

“And second, he worked with me to stop this war in Iran. So for taking on the Epstein class and taking on war, he basically lost his state. And I admire his courage in taking those positions.”

With talk this weekend of a possible deal with Iran, Khanna said it is time for the war to come to an end.

“The answer to your question is yes. I do believe we need a negotiated deal,” he told Welker.

Continue Reading

Congress

Absent congressmember Tom Kean Jr. starts working the phone

Published

on

Rep. Tom Kean Jr., whose two-and-a-half month disappearance has stoked speculation about his health and political future, has begun more actively communicating over the phone.

On Thursday, Kean began calling Republican county chairs in his 7th Congressional District, one of the most competitive in the country in this year’s midterms. The two-term Republican also gave a “lengthy” interview to New Jersey Globe on Thursday afternoon, the first he has granted since he last voted on March 5.

Kean did not respond to a text message from Blue Light News and his voicemail was full Thursday night.

But Kean, 57, gave no details to the Globe on his undisclosed illness, which has kept him out of public view since early March. He said he’s expecting to make a full recovery, that it would not affect his cognitive health, that he plans to run for reelection and that he will publicly discuss his health at an unspecified later date.

“My doctors are confident that I’m on the road to a full recovery,” Kean told New Jersey Globe. “I understand the need for public transparency, and I appreciate the support of my constituents.”

Kean added that he plans to return to voting and campaigning in the next couple weeks. Rep. Richard Hudson (R-N.C.), chair of the House GOP’s campaign arm, told reporters Thursday he spoke to Kean and he will be back voting in June.

Kean’s lengthy absence has drawn national media attention, with reporters staking out his home in the wealthy 7th Congressional District, where he faces an extremely competitive reelection, with four Democrats competing in the June 2 primary to take him on in November. His campaign and office staff had repeatedly said that he expects to make a full recovery and would return to work “soon.”

But few people — even Kean’s two fellow New Jersey House Republicans — had recently reported speaking to him. House Speaker Mike Johnson told reporters that he spoke to Kean last month.

Kean called Republican chairs in his district on Thursday.

“He sounded good to me. Sounded just as normal as always,” said Carlos Santos, the Republican chair of Union County, where Kean lives.

Santos said that he did not ask Kean about his ailment, and that Kean did not disclose it. But he said Kean confirmed he’s running for reelection and that he has his support.

Tracy DiFrancesco, the GOP chair of Somerset County, also spoke with Kean.

“It was just a simple conversation. He sounded just like Tom always sounds. He sounded perfectly fine. He’s basically back. Hopefully we’re going to see him very soon,” she said. “I think he’s doing well and we’re excited to get back on his campaign.”

Continue Reading

Congress

Tom Kean to return?

Published

on

Rep. Richard Hudson, chair of the House GOP’s campaign arm, told reporters Thursday he spoke to Rep. Tom Kean Jr. and he will be back voting in June.

Kean, a New Jersey Republican, has been missing from Capitol Hill since March 5 without explanation. Hudson, of North Carolina, said in an interview just a few days ago he hadn’t spoken to Kean in a while and only heard from Kean’s team that he could run for reelection.

Continue Reading

Trending