Congress
Meta is working to repair its relationship with Republicans. It seems to be working.
Big Tech is working overtime to mend its relationship with Republicans as the party takes full control of Washington. It looks like it’s paying off.
In a brief interview, Judiciary Chair Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), previously a huge critic of Meta, indicated he’s turned over a new leaf with the company. Meta announced Tuesday it would end its third-party fact-checking, among other changes that would move the company in line with Elon Musk’s X. Joel Kaplan, a Bush administration alumnus who just recently started leading the company’s global affairs operation, announced the moves on “Fox & Friends.” He personally gave Jordan a heads-up the day before, during what the Ohio Republican called a “great call.”
Jordan said he hopes his onetime adversary, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg, will be an ally in the free speech fight, and he plans to meet with him during Zuckerberg’s visit to Washington in the coming weeks. And he indicated he’s shifting his considerable investigative powers over First Amendment issues elsewhere, specifically pointing to fears around freedom of speech in Europe, a recent topic of concern for his committee.
“Remember that a few years ago, [the social media platforms] all kicked President [Donald] Trump off the platform. Now, they’re all going to Mar-a-Lago to visit with him because they know like this Trump administration is pro-First Amendment, and pro-free speech, and so it’s a dramatic change,” Jordan said. “We’re really appreciative of what Meta decided to do.”
Contrast that attitude with the last few years. Meta has been a potent target for House Republicans looking to tie bad-acting corporate behemoths to their chief adversary, President Joe Biden. Jordan has personally leveraged his gavel to attack Meta for allegations of suppression of conservative speech, accusing Zuckerberg’s company of conspiring with the Biden administration to silence dissent. In the last Congress, Jordan went so far as to threaten to hold Zuckerberg in contempt of Congress for failing to cooperate with his committee.
Of course, Jordan can tout the recent changes as proof that his pressure on Meta paid off. Don’t expect every Republican to be quite so forgiving — the company will inevitably have to continue to defend itself against other legislative targets beyond Jordan’s investigations. Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), an author of the Kids Online Safety Act, which would put additional burdens on social media companies to protect children online, called the announcement a “ploy to avoid being regulated.”
Meta’s side: The parent company of Facebook and Instagram, which gave $1 million to Trump’s inaugural fund, is hopeful that the recent moves will get the GOP off its back — one Meta lobbyist noted that the reaction from Republicans to the policy changes has generally been positive.
The lobbyist, granted anonymity to speak frankly, said that while the campaign to counter misinformation was a good faith effort, it was a double-edged sword politically. It never seemed to be enough for the left and caused significant anger on the right, the person said. And the Judiciary Committee’s investigation into Meta certainly put it in an unflattering light, the person added.
“Would all this be happening if Trump didn’t get elected? Nobody knows,” the lobbyist said. “That’s not the world that we live in.”
A spokesperson for Meta declined to comment.
Congress
Absent congressmember Tom Kean Jr. starts working the phone
Rep. Tom Kean Jr., whose two-and-a-half month disappearance has stoked speculation about his health and political future, has begun more actively communicating over the phone.
On Thursday, Kean began calling Republican county chairs in his 7th Congressional District, one of the most competitive in the country in this year’s midterms. The two-term Republican also gave a “lengthy” interview to New Jersey Globe on Thursday afternoon, the first he has granted since he last voted on March 5.
Kean did not respond to a text message from Blue Light News and his voicemail was full Thursday night.
But Kean, 57, gave no details to the Globe on his undisclosed illness, which has kept him out of public view since early March. He said he’s expecting to make a full recovery, that it would not affect his cognitive health, that he plans to run for reelection and that he will publicly discuss his health at an unspecified later date.
“My doctors are confident that I’m on the road to a full recovery,” Kean told New Jersey Globe. “I understand the need for public transparency, and I appreciate the support of my constituents.”
Kean added that he plans to return to voting and campaigning in the next couple weeks. Rep. Richard Hudson (R-N.C.), chair of the House GOP’s campaign arm, told reporters Thursday he spoke to Kean and he will be back voting in June.
Kean’s lengthy absence has drawn national media attention, with reporters staking out his home in the wealthy 7th Congressional District, where he faces an extremely competitive reelection, with four Democrats competing in the June 2 primary to take him on in November. His campaign and office staff had repeatedly said that he expects to make a full recovery and would return to work “soon.”
But few people — even Kean’s two fellow New Jersey House Republicans — had recently reported speaking to him. House Speaker Mike Johnson told reporters that he spoke to Kean last month.
Kean called Republican chairs in his district on Thursday.
“He sounded good to me. Sounded just as normal as always,” said Carlos Santos, the Republican chair of Union County, where Kean lives.
Santos said that he did not ask Kean about his ailment, and that Kean did not disclose it. But he said Kean confirmed he’s running for reelection and that he has his support.
Tracy DiFrancesco, the GOP chair of Somerset County, also spoke with Kean.
“It was just a simple conversation. He sounded just like Tom always sounds. He sounded perfectly fine. He’s basically back. Hopefully we’re going to see him very soon,” she said. “I think he’s doing well and we’re excited to get back on his campaign.”
Congress
Tom Kean to return?
Rep. Richard Hudson, chair of the House GOP’s campaign arm, told reporters Thursday he spoke to Rep. Tom Kean Jr. and he will be back voting in June.
Kean, a New Jersey Republican, has been missing from Capitol Hill since March 5 without explanation. Hudson, of North Carolina, said in an interview just a few days ago he hadn’t spoken to Kean in a while and only heard from Kean’s team that he could run for reelection.
Congress
House rejects Smithsonian women’s history museum bill after partisan split
The House rejected legislation Thursday to advance construction of the Smithsonian American Women’s History Museum after a partisan battle broke out in recent days over the long-sought building.
Lawmakers voted 216-204 to reject the legislation led by Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-N.Y.). Six Republican hard-liners joined all Democrats in opposition.
While 127 Democrats cosponsored an earlier version of the bill, most of them bailed after Republicans altered it ahead of the floor vote.
New language added in the House Administration Committee last month dedicated the museum to “preserving, researching, and presenting the history, achievements, and lived experiences of biological women in the United States” and prohibited the institution from seeking to “identify, present, describe, or otherwise depict any biological male as a female.”
Other new provisions called for “an equal representation of the diversity of the political viewpoints and authentic experiences held by women in the United States” and gave President Donald Trump the unilateral power to relocate the museum from sites already identified on the National Mall.
The Democratic Women’s Caucus announced earlier this week it would oppose the altered bill after working on it with Republicans for years.
“They amended the bill to give Trump and his allies unregulated power over what content and which women can be included in the museum, and the museum’s location,” Democratic Reps. Teresa Leger Fernández (N.M.), Hillary Scholten (Mich.) and Emilia Sykes (Ohio) said in a statement. “A museum about women, fought for and supported by women, should not be controlled by one man.”
Republicans also dealt with their own internal fights over the legislation this week. Several GOP lawmakers raised concerns in House Republicans’ closed door meeting Wednesday morning about why the museum was needed.
They also argued it would further divide Americans into groups when there are already women represented across the wider collection of Smithsonian museums, according to five people in the room granted anonymity to describe the private discussion.
-
Politics1 year agoFormer ‘Squad’ members launching ‘Bowman and Bush’ YouTube show
-
The Dictatorship1 year agoLuigi Mangione acknowledges public support in first official statement since arrest
-
Politics1 year agoFormer Kentucky AG Daniel Cameron launches Senate bid
-
Uncategorized2 years ago
Bob Good to step down as Freedom Caucus chair this week
-
The Dictatorship1 year agoPete Hegseth’s tenure at the Pentagon goes from bad to worse
-
The Josh Fourrier Show2 years agoDOOMSDAY: Trump won, now what?
-
Politics1 year agoBlue Light News’s Editorial Director Ryan Hutchins speaks at Blue Light News’s 2025 Governors Summit
-
The Dictatorship8 months agoMike Johnson sums up the GOP’s arrogant position on military occupation with two words







