Connect with us

Congress

Trump backs Florida’s chief financial officer as successor to Gaetz in Congress

Published

on

TALLAHASSEE, Florida — President-elect Donald Trump is throwing his support behind Florida’s chief financial officer as his choice to succeed former Rep. Matt Gaetz in Congress, a move that could increase pressure on Gov. Ron DeSantis to pick allies to the president-elect for other posts.

Trump on Monday said on social media that he would support Republican Jimmy Patronis for the now-vacant northwest Florida congressional seat that Gaetz gave up during his truncated bid for attorney general. Gaetz withdrew from consideration amid an outcry over investigations into his conduct even though he has denied any wrongdoing.

Trump said that Patronis had “been a wonderful friend to me,” even though Patronis did not endorse Trump in this year’s presidential race until after DeSantis withdrew from the primary.

“Should he decide to enter this Race, Jimmy Patronis has my Complete and Total Endorsement. RUN, JIMMY, RUN!” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

Trump’s decision to back Patronis follows his public support of state Sen. Randy Fine for the congressional seat of another one of his picks in a second administration, Rep. Mike Waltz.

It comes at a key moment. Elected officials interested in running in the special election to pick Gaetz’s successor are required on Monday to submit their resign-to-run letters if they want to hold on to their seats while campaigning. Two state legislators had already said they planned to jump into the race, as has one local elected official.

If Patronis does run for Congress, it would fall to DeSantis to pick someone to fill his job until the 2026 elections. State Sen. Joe Gruters, a long-time ally of Trump who has clashed with DeSantis, has already said he is running for chief financial officer. The question is whether DeSantis will fill the job with someone who would be able to run against Gruters in two years.

Additionally, Lara Trump, Trump’s daughter-in-law, has expressed interest in being appointed to the Senate seat now held by Marco Rubio. Trump has nominated Rubio for secretary of state, and it will be up to DeSantis to decide who will hold that seat until the next round of elections in two years.

When asked about a congressional run on Friday, Patronis texted that he was discussing it with his family.

Patronis, whose family runs a famous restaurant in Panama City, has been the state’s chief financial officer, a statewide elected post, since being appointed to it in 2017 by then-Gov. Rick Scott. Patronis, who had been a legislator, had been a strong ally to Scott going back to his first run as governor when Patronis supported him over the GOP candidate backed by most of Florida’s Republican establishment.

Patronis does not live in Gaetz’s congressional district, but he is well known throughout the region.

This marks the second Florida congressional race that Trump has made his preference known. Over the weekend he put out a social media post urging Fine, the state senator, to run for the congressional seat in northeast Florida held by Waltz. Trump picked Waltz as his national security adviser.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Congress

Virginia Gov. Abigail Spanberger tapped for State of the Union rebuttal

Published

on

Virginia Gov. Abigail Spanberger will deliver the Democratic rebuttal to President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address next week, Democratic Minority Leaders Hakeem Jeffires and Chuck Schumer announced Thursday.

Sen. Schumer said Spanberger “has always put service over politics,” and Rep. Jeffries praised Spanberger for her decisive victory in November’s election.

“She stands in stark contrast to Donald Trump, who will lie, deflect and blame everyone but himself for his failed presidency on Tuesday evening,” Jeffries said.

In a statement, Spanberger said Americans expect and deserve “leaders who are working hard to deliver for them.”

“We are at a defining moment in our nation’s history,” she said. “Virginians and Americans across the country are contending with rising costs, chaos in their communities, and a real fear of what each day might bring.”

Spanberger flipped Virginia’s governor’s mansion blue last year, becoming the state’s first female governor. She previously represented the commonwealth’s 7th District in the House. Before her time in politics, Spanberger served in the CIA.

The two minority leaders also announced Thursday that Sen. Alex Padilla (D-Calif.) will deliver the Democratic response in Spanish on Tuesday.

Padilla, the son of Mexican immigrants and California’s first Latino senator, garnered nationwide attention last summer after he was forcibly detained by officers during a press conference with Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem.

“As Donald Trump, Kristi Noem and MAGA extremists have tried to silence the voices of our Latino brothers and sisters, Senator Alex Padilla has consistently fought back and proven Democrats will not bend the knee to this out-of-control administration,” Jeffries said.

Schumer added that Padilla’s message will be a “sharp contrast to President Trump’s chaos and self-dealing.”

Padilla said he plans to discuss lowering costs, safeguarding democracy and reining in “rogue federal agencies” in his speech.

“Americans don’t need another speech from Donald Trump pretending everything is fine when their bills are too high, paychecks are too low and masked and militarized federal agents are roaming our communities violating Constitutional rights on a daily basis,” Padilla said.

Trump will address the nation from the Capitol on Tuesday, though a swath of Democrats have announced they plan to boycott the address. Jeffries, however, told reporters Wednesday that he plans to attend Trump’s speech.

“We’re not going to Donald Trump’s house, he’s coming to our house,” Jeffries said. “It’s my view that you don’t let anyone ever run you off of your block.”

Continue Reading

Congress

GOP senator backs Democratic wife’s bid for office

Published

on

In a rare move, Sen. Pete Ricketts (R-Neb.) is reaching across party lines to endorse his wife, Susanne Shore, who announced Thursday that she is running as a Democrat for a seat on the University of Nebraska Board of Regents.

Ricketts said in a statement that his wife would be an “outstanding voice” for the university, noting her love for Nebraska and their shared goals of making higher education more affordable and accessible.

“I usually vote straight Republican, but Susanne will be my one Democrat exception in 2026!” he said.

The former Nebraskan first lady is seeking an Omaha seat representing Douglas County after former Regent Elizabeth O’Connor resigned in January following a charge of felony DUI. Shore described herself as a “Regent-ready” candidate, pointing to her background in university administration, health care and public service.

“Our university must be an engine, not a museum,” she said in a statement. “By focusing on results over rhetoric, we can keep our university affordable, competitive and ready for the challenges of the future.”

The political split between the former two-term governor and his wife has been apparent for more than a decade. The two donate to opposing parties and have even backed candidates running against one another. Shore acknowledged the dynamic, saying differences at home are routine but respectful. In an interview with the Nebraska Examiner, Shore said Ricketts has been “nothing but supportive” of her political aspirations.

“He’s told me what it’s like to run for office, and I’ve seen it firsthand,” she said. “It does feel different to be on this side, but so far it’s been amazing.”

Shore said her husband has his own campaign to worry about. He’s facing off against Dan Osborn, an independent and former Omaha labor leader, in a competitive Nebraska Senate race.

Ricketts has been a loyal supporter of President Donald Trump and the Republican Party, backing the administration on many of its key issues. He was, however, one of the few Republicans to criticize Trump after he posted a racist video to social media depicting former President and first lady Barack and Michelle Obama as monkeys earlier this month.

“Even if this was a Lion King meme, a reasonable person sees the racist context to this,” he wrote on X. “The White House should do what anyone does when they make a mistake: remove this and apologize.”

Continue Reading

Congress

White House wants a reprieve in spy-powers fight that is splitting the GOP

Published

on

Some of Donald Trump’s biggest loyalists in Congress are itching to rein in federal surveillance powers. So far his administration isn’t biting.

Instead, the White House is quietly pushing for a key spy authority to be extended as is into 2027, according to five people granted anonymity to discuss the private talks. The length of that “clean” extension is still under discussion, but the administration wants at least 18 months, according to three of the people.

Stephen Miller, the influential senior White House domestic policy adviser, is a leading advocate within the administration for extending the program that lets the government collect the data of noncitizens abroad without a warrant, according to two of the five people. One of the people said that Miller sees the spying statute under Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, or FISA, as critical to a variety of homeland security missions.

The behind-the-scenes push comes as Congress barrels toward an April 20 deadline to reauthorize Section 702, which is itself a perennial source of intraparty tension for the GOP. Even as some Hill Republicans believe that Trump supports a clean extension, others cautioned there are still two months to go and things will remain in flux until the president weighs in publicly — underscoring the fraught nature of the discussion.

But if Trump embraces the view held by Miller and other administration officials, it would be a major win for the intelligence community and its allies in Congress, who have fretted for months that Trump’s stated hatred of the broader FISA law could tank hopes of getting any reauthorization of the warrantless spy provision over the finish line.

On the other hand, it’s likely to be a major problem for Speaker Mike Johnson, a former Judiciary Committee member who frustrated conservative hard-liners in 2024 when he sided with the Intelligence Committee and cast the deciding vote to reject a new policy requiring law enforcement to obtain a warrant before searching for Americans under Section 702 surveillance.

GOP leaders are involved in conversations with House Republicans about how to reauthorize the program, but there is not yet a consensus on how to move forward ahead of the April deadline.

Ultimately, there’s no easy path to pass a clean extension in the House. One of the people with knowledge of the discussions said GOP leaders are “going to have a problem” trying to unite Republicans behind a special “rule” allowing for an up-or-down floor vote on a clean extension, which are typically party-line affairs.

But Republicans also believe that with Trump in office, a number of Democrats who previously supported leaving Section 702 intact will now support putting more fetters on intelligence agencies — making the alternative route, a two-thirds-majority bipartisan vote under suspension of the rules, all but impossible.

Asked about trying to pass a clean 702 extension, House Intelligence Committee Chair Rick Crawford (R-Ark.) said in an interview that “we’re still shopping that.”

“I have a responsibility to … run the play that the coach calls, so we’ll see,” he said, acknowledging that while he’s “not a mathematician” that it’s unlikely any bill will be able to clear the two-thirds hurdle for speedy passage.

Across the Capitol, Senate Intelligence Committee Chair Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) has been pitching a clean 18-month extension, with some members of his panel interested in going even longer. But lawmakers have also grown frustrated after administration officials were evasive about their position in recent Capitol Hill meetings, with one person saying Wednesday they still had not been informed of the White House’s official posture.

Intelligence officials have argued in public that the 702 program is critical to stopping a wide range of national security threats, from narcotics trafficking and weapons proliferation to cyberattacks and terrorism. U.S. spy agencies are also authorized to use the authority to vet foreigners trying to enter the country or seeking certain benefits under federal immigration law.

Miller was one of the architects of the Trump administration’s policy of bombing suspected drug trafficking boats in the Caribbean and the Pacific under the controversial legal theory that their crews were “combatants” in an armed conflict against the U.S.

The White House did not provide a comment about its position on extending the program. The Office of the Director of National Intelligence did not respond to a request for comment.

Beyond the surveillance policy itself, any 702 extension will face other problems getting through the House: Trying to pass a bill under a rule would give an opportunity to Rep. Anna Paulina Luna (R-Fla.) and her allies to make good on their threat to attach a partisan voting bill, the SAVE America Act. If that effort were successful, it would kill the ability for Republicans to get the Democratic votes they will inevitably need to pass the legislation in the House.

Lawmakers at the heart of the debate know they are quickly running out of time to figure out a strategy. The House is planning to be out of session for three of the coming eight weeks before Section 702 expires.

“April 20 is the deadline, so we’ve got to work fast,” Crawford said, adding that “obviously the White House has vested interest in retaining 702, authority. It’s a national security issue. So, you know, it’s very important to them.”

Crawford and Judiciary Committee Chair Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) are in talks over a potential compromise effort that could put new guardrails on Section 702 surveillance. They’ve participated in a joint meeting at the White House and held staff dinners to try and feel out a compromise — which would be a huge relief for Johnson if it could come together.

But the two panels have historically diverged, particularly on the warrant issue. There’s already skepticism that Jordan or his panel’s members will drop their demands to require warrants in relation to Americans caught in the surveillance data just because the White House is pushing for a clean extension.

Jordan indicated to POLITICO late last year that he was hoping to get a warrant requirement written into law, along with a separate proposal banning data brokers from selling information to law enforcement without a warrant.

But he was more general in comments last week, where he noted there are ongoing conversations about possible additional changes Congress could make while also offering a more measured assessment of the overall program.

“We know 702 is important,” Jordan said. “We know it needs to get reauthorized. We’re committed to getting that done. We just want to do it in the best way possible so that you can get the bad guys, know what the bad guys are doing overseas, but also protect Americans, and I’m confident we’ll get there.”

But some hard-liners in both chambers are as insistent as ever on the need for a warrant requirement.

Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) asked Attorney General Pam Bondi about it during her appearance last week before the House Judiciary Committee. And Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) said Congress “has no business” reauthorizing Section 702 without adding a warrant requirement for searches involving U.S. persons — a provision that supporters of the program believe would be unworkable.

Lee and Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois, the top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, are planning to revive a bill that would extend Section 702 with changes, including a warrant requirement for searching the content of communications involving Americans, according to a person granted anonymity to disclose the unannounced effort.

“I think a lot of members still want to be able to have some semblance of a warrant requirement when it comes to FISA 702 uses,” Rep. Byron Donalds (R-Fla.) said. “I don’t really see that changing anytime soon.”

Continue Reading

Trending