Connect with us

The Dictatorship

ICE admits to ‘administrative error’ in deporting man to Salvadoran prison

Published

on

ICE admits to ‘administrative error’ in deporting man to Salvadoran prison

The federal government has admitted that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement deported a Maryland man to El Salvador due to an “administrative error,” and argued to a judge that there is little that U.S. courts can do to seek his release because he is no longer in U.S. custody.

Kilmar Abrego Garciaa Maryland resident with legal status, was arrested on March 12 when ICE officers pulled him over with his 5-year-old son, who is autistic and intellectually disabled, in the back seat, his lawyers said in a court filing last week.

During his arrest, ICE officers told Abrego Garcia that his “status has changed,” his lawyers said in the filing. The officers told him to call his wife to pick up their son, and his wife was given no explanation “as to why her husband was detained, where he was going, or what was happening,” the filing reads. His lawyers say Abrego Garcia appeared to have been moved to “various different locations across the country” from the day of his arrest until March 15, when he was deported.

According to his lawyers, Abrego Garcia fled El Salvador for the U.S. in 2011 due to gang violence. In 2019, he was granted a “withholding of removal” order that protected him from being returned to his home country after an immigration judge determined that he would likely be persecuted by gangs there. During those proceedings, his lawyers say, ICE accused him of being part of the MS-13 gang on the basis of a police department report that noted his Chicago Bulls hat and hoodie and cited an unidentified informant who linked Abrego Garcia to an MS-13 division that operates in a state he has never lived in.

Abrego Garcia’s lawyers argue that he “is not a member of or has no affiliation with Tren de Aragua, MS-13, or any other criminal or street gang. Although he has been accused of general ‘gang affiliation,’ the U.S. government has never produced an iota of evidence to support this unfounded accusation.”

In a court filing Monday, the Justice Department pointed to the allegation of gang affiliation in Abrego Garcia’s 2019 immigration proceedings but conceded that he was deported despite the protective order “because of an administrative error.” Federal prosecutors also asked the judge to deny the motion to order Abrego Garcia’s release, arguing that the court has no jurisdiction because he is no longer in U.S. custody and it cannot compel the Salvadoran government to release him.

The Trump administration has deported hundreds of people to El Salvador’s notorious Terrorism Confinement Center, or CECOT. Lawyers and family members say that many of those sent there do not have criminal records and have been falsely accused of gang affiliations because of their tattoos. Abrego Garcia is also currently imprisoned at CECOT; according to his lawyer, Abrego Garcia’s wife recognized him from prison footage.

Despite the admission of error by DOJ officials, Vice President JD Vance defended Abrego Garcia’s removal in posts on X Tuesday. Vance claimed that Abrego Garcia was “a convicted MS-13 gang member” (Abrego Garcia’s lawyers note he has no convictions) and accused the media of running “a propaganda operation” around the case.

When asked what evidence Vance had to claim Abrego Garcia had been “convicted,” White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said on Tuesday that the Department of Homeland Security and ICE have “a lot of evidence” and that she herself “saw it this morning.” She did not elaborate on what the evidence was or why it had not been presented to the court.

Simon Sandoval-Moshenberg, Abrego Garcia’s lawyer, denied allegations his client is a member of MS-13, telling NBC News in response to Vance’s posts that the “only basis of his gang membership was a confidential informant, there was never any hard and fast proof.”

Federal authorities circumvented the judicial process in Abrego Garcia’s case, Sandoval-Moshenberg added.

“They could have gone back to the judge who in 2019 gave him an order of protection and could have asked that judge to lift that order,” he said. “They didn’t do that, they just put him on an airplane.”

Clarissa-je Lim

Clarissa-Jan Lim is a breaking/trending news blogger for BLN Digital. She was previously a senior reporter and editor at BuzzFeed News.

Read More

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Dictatorship

‘He’s a loser’: Tim Walz says Elon Musk’s ‘toxic personality’ repels voters

Published

on

‘He’s a loser’: Tim Walz says Elon Musk’s ‘toxic personality’ repels voters
  • On a scale of 1-10, how freaked out is Eric Holder about the Trump admin so far?

    09:25

  • ‘Worst case scenario’ Hayes says Trump is waterboarding the U.S. economy

    03:54

  • Now Playing

  • UP NEXT

    ‘Horrific’: Joe Rogan blasts Trump for sending innocent people to El Salvador prison

    06:41

  • ‘Game on’: NBC News projects Republicans win Florida special elections, but Democrats overperform

    07:17

  • Sen. Mark Kelly shreds Hegseth for attack plans breach: ‘He crossed the line’

    09:34

  • Trump directs JD Vance to go after ‘woke zoos’

    07:45

  • ‘Incredible’: Trump admin reportedly deports man over autism awareness tattoo

    07:28

  • Trump yanks Elise Stefanik’s Cabinet nomination, citing ‘very tight’ GOP majority

    07:57

  • ‘Sound familiar?’: DHS staffer accidentally added reporter to email about ICE raids

    06:21

  • ‘Flatly authoritarian’: New video shows masked agents arresting Tufts student

    03:51

  • ‘Where was the president?’: Hayes on Trump’s alarming absence amid war plans group chat

    06:52

  • ‘Four-alarm fire’: Passwords for Hegseth, Gabbard and Waltz reportedly found online

    06:38

  • ‘It is wrong’: Warren sounds off on the Trump-Musk attack on Social Security

    08:15

  • ‘Sheer, unfettered, Olympian incompetence’: Hayes on the Trump war plans breach

    04:35

  • ‘Unheard of’: Slotkin says Trump war plans breach endangers ‘human beings’

    06:42

  • Judge smacks down Trump DOJ: This court will not be ‘gaslit’

    07:23

  • Trump official doubts seniors would mind if their Social Security checks stopped

    05:17

  • ‘Desperate’: Elon Musk begs employees to ‘hang onto your stock’ as Tesla flounders

    07:38

  • ‘Elon Musk is playing with fire—but he’ll never get burned’: Michael Lewis

    08:33

  • On a scale of 1-10, how freaked out is Eric Holder about the Trump admin so far?

    09:25

  • ‘Worst case scenario’ Hayes says Trump is waterboarding the U.S. economy

    03:54

  • Now Playing

    ‘He’s a loser’: Tim Walz says Elon Musk’s ‘toxic personality’ repels voters

    10:43

  • UP NEXT

    ‘Horrific’: Joe Rogan blasts Trump for sending innocent people to El Salvador prison

    06:41

  • ‘Game on’: NBC News projects Republicans win Florida special elections, but Democrats overperform

    07:17

  • Sen. Mark Kelly shreds Hegseth for attack plans breach: ‘He crossed the line’

    09:34

Read More

Continue Reading

The Dictatorship

Snubbing Trump, bipartisan group of senators votes against Canada tariffs

Published

on

Snubbing Trump, bipartisan group of senators votes against Canada tariffs

In short order, Donald Trump has done extraordinary harm to the relationship between the United States and Canada. There are plenty of lawmakers on Capitol Hill — in both parties — who believe the president is on the wrong track, especially when it comes to trade tariffs on our allies north of the border.

With this in mind, Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia has championed a privileged resolution that would terminate the president’s Feb. 1 emergency declaration, which the White House used to issue tariffs on Canada. It would also, of course, eliminate the need for Canada’s retaliatory tariffs on American products.

The question has long been whether Kaine, whose measure was co-authored with Democratic Sens. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota and Mark Warner of Virginia, could pick up a handful of Republican supporters to clear the upper chamber. That question now has an answer.

The Senate voted 51-48 to pass the resolutionwith four Republicans — Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul of Kentucky and Susan Collins of Maine — joining all 47 Democrats in support.

The outcome is striking, though it’s not altogether surprising. Paul, for example, is a longtime tariff critic and co-sponsor of Kaine’s resolution, while Collins and Murkowski signaled their support for the Democratic measure ahead of the floor vote.

Of particular interest, though, was McConnell, who is retiring next year and has become an occasional thorn in the White House’s sideand who’s likely to face another round of hysterical criticisms from the Oval Office.

As a practical matter, the fact that Kaine’s resolution passed won’t have any immediate policy implications: The measure will now head to the GOP-led House, where it will very likely go ignored.

That said, as a Politico report summarized it, losing this vote represents “the most significant rebuke to Trump that congressional Republicans have yet mustered in his second term.”

It’s precisely why Trump recently began lobbying aggressively against Kaine’s resolution, publishing an item to his social media platform that said a Senate vote in support of the measure would be “devastating for the Republican Party.”

In a follow-up itemthe president wrote that GOP senators should “fight the Democrats wild and flagrant push to not penalize Canada for the sale, into our Country, of large amounts of Fentanyl, by Tariffing the value of this horrible and deadly drug in order to make it more costly to distribute and buy.” The missive suggested that Trump was under the impression that he’s imposing tariffs on fentanyl, which doesn’t make any sense.

He went on to write, “Why are they allowing Fentanyl to pour into our Country unchecked, and without penalty. What is wrong with them, other than suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome, commonly known as TDS? Who can want this to happen to our beautiful families, and why?”

To the extent that reality still has any relevance in the debate, the idea that fentanyl is “pouring into” the United States is rather silly. In fact, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, only 43 pounds of fentanyl were found crossing the northern border in 2024 — as opposed to 21,100 pounds seized at the southern border.

Fighting a trade war with a trusted ally and neighbor over fentanyl that could fit in a single suitcase is absurd. The president might not understand this, but a bipartisan majority of the Senate got it right.

Steve legs

Steve Benen is a producer for “The Rachel Maddow Show,” the editor of MaddowBlog and an BLN political contributor. He’s also the bestselling author of “Ministry of Truth: Democracy, Reality, and the Republicans’ War on the Recent Past.”

Read More

Continue Reading

The Dictatorship

Trump’s TikTok proposal for China blows a hole in his tariff talk

Published

on

Trump’s TikTok proposal for China blows a hole in his tariff talk

President Donald Trump is desperate to close a deal for a U.S.-based buyer to purchase TikTok. So desperate, in fact, that he has proposed giving China relief on tariffs if its government approves a deal. That proposal has predictably been panned by Democrats and Republicans alike.

After all, Trump said he was placing tariffs on China largely to try to stop fentanyl from reaching the United States. The fact he’s willing to dangle a reduction in exchange for a TikTok deal shows how incoherent his talk about tariffs is and how eager he is to bring TikTok under America’s — and perhaps, by extension, his administration’s — control.

All the while, Big Tech elites and the companies they lead are circling TikTok like sharks, hoping they get their shot to sink their teeth into the app.

Last year, I wrote about how rich right-wingersincluding “Shark Tank” co-panelist Kevin O’Leary, have shown interest in a purchase. And now, Amazon has joined the list of suitors looking to buy the app.

According to NBC News:

Amazon has made a late bid to purchase TikTok, a person familiar with the ongoing White House-led discussions to identify a non-Chinese buyer for the social media app told NBC News. The bid, first reported by The New York Times, arrived this week, via a letter to Vice President JD Vance and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick. Given the last-minute timing, days before a Saturday deadline to stave off a ban of the app in the U.S., the bid is not being treated as serious, said the source, who was granted anonymity to share details of private negotiations.

TikTok was set to be banned in January as a result of a bipartisan billsigned last spring by President Joe Biden, that required the Chinese-owned app to be sold to an American-based owner or cease operating in the United States. The app’s owners didn’t meet that deadline, of course, and TikTok was briefly banned. But Trump defied the law when he took office, signing an executive order saying that he was instructing the Justice Department to not take action against TikTok for a period of 75 days, which ends Saturday.

For the record, legal experts have sounded the alarm on Trump’s authoritarian power grab in this case, although sadly, many TikTok fans have seemed indifferent to it as long as they can still have access to their favorite mind control device. Trump’s personal involvement in the negotiations has set up a possibility that TikTok, which like other apps has occasionally been plagued by a raft of propaganda and misinformationmight be sold to a MAGA-friendly owner who is sympathetic to conservatives’ rage over content moderation.

Ownership by Amazon, the company owned by Jeff Bezos, certainly wouldn’t dispel concerns — mine, at least — that TikTok could become even more of a boon for Trump’s movement than it already has been.

Amazon donated $1 million toward Trump’s inauguration, Bezos appeared onstage with the gaggle of Big Tech oligarchs at Trump’s inaugural ceremony, Amazon reportedly signed a sweetheart $40 million deal for the rights to distribute a documentary about with first lady Melania Trump, and Bezos’ changes at The Washington Post — which he also owns — have justifiably prompted speculation that he’s transforming it to become more friendly to Trump. Beyond that, the London-based Institute for Strategic Dialogue released a report in 2022 finding that Amazon’s recommendation algorithms were steering some people toward conspiracy theories and extremist content.

To put it mildly, that’s not great for a company looking to purchase what is arguably the most popular social media platform in the world. That said, there are other sharks in the water looking to sink their teeth into TikTok, and Trump is obviously champing at the bit to secure a buyer before Saturday.

Ja’han Jones

Ja’han Jones is an BLN opinion blogger. He previously wrote The ReidOut Blog. He is a futurist and multimedia producer focused on culture and politics. His previous projects include “Black Hair Defined” and the “Black Obituary Project.”

Read More

Continue Reading

Trending